Freestone


2008 Sonoma Coast


Pinot Noir


$55.00 a bottle


I felt it was time to blog another great Sonoma County Pinot Noir. We are so lucky to have so many great ones to choose from here. My favorite and first choice for Pinot Noir is the Russian River Valley with their complexity, huge structures and earthiness. So I was surprised that I really enjoyed this 2008 Freestone Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir. This wine is definitely at the top of my list for great Sonoma County Pinot. Last year I attended an event called “Pinot Smack Down” which numerous North Coast Pinot Noirs were all under one roof for us to taste and judge. There were many good wines I tasted that day but this 2008 Freestone Pinot Noir really stood out among the rest, and was an easy first place vote for me. Freestone Winery and Vineyards is located just 5-8 miles from the Pacific Ocean just west of Bodega Bay in the small town of Freestone. This location provides a long and cool growing season just perfect for Pinot Noir. Freestone Winery is owned by the Phelp’s family of Joseph Phelps Vineyard. In 1999 they began developing 100 acres of vineyards near Freestone and in 2007 produced their first harvest of Chardonnay and Pinot Noir. Freestone Winery practices bio-dynamic farming, enhancing the natural vineyard under the guidance of winemaker Theresa Heredia. I was finally able to visit and taste at Freestone Winery this week for the first time. I was also able to meet and taste with Freestone’s, extremely knowledgeable tasting room manager, Brad Schneider. Brad insisted that I try all their wines that day even though I was just there for the Pinot Noir. After revisiting their Pinot Noir I remembered why I enjoyed this wine so much. This 2008 Pinot Noir has enhancing aromas of black cherry and cedar box. First tasting vibrant cherry and tea that lingers, infusing into spices and a light earthiness. This Pinot’s finish is creamy and extremely smooth on the palate leaving you craving another sip. Freestone’s 2008 has great acidity, great structure, rich with flavors but yet very elegant. Wine Enthusiast gave this bottle a 90 point rating. If heading out to the Sonoma Coast a definite must stop!


1 comment: