Cartograph


2009 Pinot Noir


Russian River Valley


$38.00 a bottle



With Pinot Smack Down right around the corner I only found it appropriate for my next blog to be an awesome Russian River Valley Pinot that I was recently introduced to. Friends I met through twitter Alan Baker @Cellarrat and Serena Lourie @Slourie of @Cartographwines just recently opened their new tasting room right off the Healdsburg Plaza in Healdsburg, California, called Garagiste. I was invited out to come taste their wines for the first time, the weekend before their opening. Cartograph wines all began back in 2009 when both Alan and Serena moved to the heart of Wine Country. Their new tasting room is chic and modern with a lovely outdoor tasting space with plush, cozy couches and a large flowing fountain. Indeed a very inviting tasting room. With Cartograph's focus on Pinot Noir, I definitely couldn’t wait to visit and try. I really fell in love with Cartograph’s Pinot at first sip. Cartograph’s 2009 Russian River Pinot comes from the Floodgate Vineyard. This appellation is home to some of the most prestigious Pinot Noir Vineyards. This vineyard is located adjacent to Mark West Creek on the south end of the Middle Reach section of the Russian River Valley, harvesting the perfect weather for Pinot grapes to thrive. These Pinot vines are primarily planted on the hillsides of Floodgate Vineyards in very rocky soils allowing for excellent drainage and also allowing all of the energy of the vines to focus on the grapes.



Cartograph 2009 Russian River Pinot has aromas of huge red cherry and spice and that traditional Russian River Valley earthiness, tasting first of cherry, tea, and rhubarb. In a really good Russian River Valley Pinot the finish tends to be my favorite part. This Cartograph Pinot did not disappoint. Its finish was my favorite part long and lasting of mushroom earthiness. A very complexed yet also very balanced Pinot. This Pinot comes highly recommended and I’m adding it to my list of Russian River Valley favorites. Cartograph also makes a great Mendocino Ridge Pinot and a Russian River Valley Dry Gewurztraminer.

2 comments: