Pine Ridge


2007 Napa Valley


Onyx


$60.00 a bottle





I just recently made a trip to the Napa Valley to taste. I made a few stops that day but my tasting experience at Pine Ridge Winery was awesome. The Winery grounds, tasting staff, and of course their wines were incredible. A twitter friend Cat Purcell who works in Pine Ridge Wineries tasting room took care of our group that day. Cat knowing that I was a huge Cabernet lover lined up their vertical of Cabernet Sauvignon’s from all the great appellations in the Napa Valley. I learned that day that Pine Ridge Vineyards has 200 estate acres planted. They have estate vineyards that include 61 acres in Rutherford, 49 acres in Carneros, 47 acres in Stags Leap, 25 acres in Oakville, and 9 acres on Howell Mountain. Cat also took us into Pine Ridge Wineries cave to give us some barrel samples, she definitely beyond spoiled us that day. I have toured many caves but Pine Ridge Wineries cave was quite breathe taking.



To my surprise after tasting all their great Cabernet’s, there was still two red blends to try. Both of the blends were very good but the Onyx was my favorite. Pine Ridge Wineries Onyx is a blend of 50% Merlot from Carneros, 30% Malbec from Rutherford, 11% Tannat also from Rutherford, 7% Cabernet Sauvignon, and 2% Petit Verdot. This Onyx has aromas of black berry, dark cherry, slight cigar box, and chocolate. Tasting first dark berries, dark cherries, and slight plum. Finishing with a long lasting finish of smokey bittersweet chocolate. Lots of deep structure to this blend. Truly a blend that dances on your palate. I see this blend only improving with age that is if you can be patient enough to wait. A trip to the Napa Valley really must include Pine Ridge Vineyards as one of your stops. Again I need to thank Cat for all her assistance and knowledge that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment